Domestic Abuse


Domestic abuse is a crime. It is defined as any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence, or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.

Domestic abuse can happen to anyone, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, sexuality, background, or socio-economic status.

There are different types of abuse and it is not always physical.

If you are under 16 and are experiencing domestic abuse in your household, call 999 in an emergency. Or you can speak to a trusted adult or call 101 to talk to the police.

Childline can offer you confidential advice and support.

To speak to Bromley Children's Social Care for advice and support, please click on this link.

Signs of Domestic Abuse

Domestic Abuse can happen to anyone. It is important to understand what domestic abuse is and to recognise the signs so that you can protect yourself and support others around you.

Support and Advice Services

If any of this is happening in your family, or between you and a boyfriend/girlfriend or a family member, there are lots of services in Bromley to help you.

For more information or to find support for domestic abuse, please visit domestic abuse support services - Bromley against domestic abuse.

Look at the Bromley & Croydon Women's Aid (BCWA) website for a range of information around domestic abuse.

There is a 24 hour national domestic abuse helpline - 0808 2000 247.

You can talk to Childline at any time of the day or night on 0800 1111. This is a free service and you do not have to give your name if you don't want to. They give confidential advice and comfort to children and young people who are worried about any problem.

The Enough website talks about abuse towards women and girls; however, the support offered is available to all victims.


Remember that whatever is happening is not your fault. Domestic violence can happen in any family. It is important that you are safe and have someone to talk to.

For parents and carers of young people, please see our Domestic Abuse Support page under Information for Parents, Carers and the Community.